Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Vegan Burritos? Yes Please.

I recently read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone out of a desire for something light and easy after finally finishing A Game of Thrones {a whopping 800 page fantasy novel that my friends and I are obsessed with}. After reading about ten pages I realized that instead of light and easy what I was actually getting was inspired to make some changes. I have been eating meat for my entire life. I like meat. I like the way it tastes, the way it feels, the ease of it. I like not having to be that person who has to quietly declare that they are a vegetarian when going to a dinner party or restaurant and requires special meals or preparations. Yes, I like meat. But after reading the book it dawned on me that perhaps my body doesn't like meat all that much. I mean the human digestive tract is 20 feet long, which means that my chewed up piece of steak has to travel for three days in 98.6 degree heat to finally leave my body. Or put another way, once meat leaves your mouth, it spends the next three days rotting in your stomach {that's gross}! Pair that with the horrible conditions these animals are forced to live in and the hormones that make up a steady part of their diet and it was starting to make sense why going without meat {and dairy} might be a good idea. On top of all of that, Alicia could not stop gushing about how incredibly healthy, energized, and full of light she has felt since becoming a vegan. As some of you know the past six months have been really difficult for me {to say the least} and now that I am starting to feel like my old self again I thought that there could be no better time to make a change. So here I am, a meat eater who for the next four weeks will be going meatless and trying to restrict dairy as much as possible. I will definitely be sharing my ups, downs, cravings, and recipes with you so get ready for a fun ride. 

My first official vegan recipe is pretty simple but definitely a crowd pleaser-Vegan Burritos. Basically a mix bag of everything from my refrigerator and then some. Hope you enjoy! 


Vegan Burritos


Ingredients
1 whole grain tortilla (I used Ezekiel tortillas)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup cooked beans (I used kidney but you can use anything you have)
2 oz. sauteed tofu
1/4 cup sauteed onions
1/2 cup sauteed zucchini 
1 spoonful of sweet corn 
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup cubed avocado


Here's How
1. Pile everything on top of your tortilla and enjoy!









Tips
This recipe can be made with any vegetables you have, no limits! 



No comments:

Post a Comment