Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce

I am so happy to say that the inspiration for this recipe was a trip to my local farmer's market. I have lived in my current house for about a year now and I'm embarrassed to admit that this was my first visit to the market that is located just blocks down the road. There is something so comforting about preparing a dish with ingredients that you know came from a farm within miles from you. The tomatoes that you usually buy at the chain grocery store seems to sing on your tongue and the fresh basil smells summery sweet. It is these types of ingredients that move me to make dishes where they are truly the stars. Simple and effortless, this tomato sauce couldn't be more perfect {and vegan I might add}!




Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce

Ingredients
Ripe Tomatos
Large onion quartered
Whole garlic cloves
Fresh basil
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Note: I do not list measurements here because I honestly didn't measure. If you like your sauce extra garlicy, add as much garlic as you want {same thing goes for the onions and basil}. Trust yourself and make it your own because this recipe really is fool proof! 

Here's How
1. Half the tomatoes and place in large bowl. Quarter your onion(s) and place in the same bowl along with the whole cloves of garlic. 
2. Dress the tomato, onion, and garlic mixture in about a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 
3. Arrange the tomatoes, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet making sure the cut side of the tomatoes are face down. 
4. Roast the vegetables at 425 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or until the vegetables are tender. 
5. Peel the skin off the tomatoes and discard. 
6. Blend the roasted vegetables and basil until combined but not completely smooth. 
7. Enjoy on pasta, chicken, lasagna, zucchini, anything! 






p.s. I know there are tons of pictures in this post but I just thought they looked so beautiful and natural that I couldn't resist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment